Ok, for todays blog I would like to talk about peoples different takes on hell. So many people think of it or see it in many different ways. Some think of fire others think of darkness and some think of pain. In Dante's mind there are the three rings of hell. Why is it that all of us have different takes on hell but we all have the the same dread and fear??? I think hell is just what you had coming. I look at it like this, if you make a small mistake in life it can drive you crazy or you can live with regret for the rest of you life. But if you do something so horrible that you are sent to hell then you must really deserve to be down there and you had it coming.
Friday, January 27, 2012
Ok, for todays blog I would like to talk about peoples different takes on hell. So many people think of it or see it in many different ways. Some think of fire others think of darkness and some think of pain. In Dante's mind there are the three rings of hell. Why is it that all of us have different takes on hell but we all have the the same dread and fear??? I think hell is just what you had coming. I look at it like this, if you make a small mistake in life it can drive you crazy or you can live with regret for the rest of you life. But if you do something so horrible that you are sent to hell then you must really deserve to be down there and you had it coming.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have also read Dante's Inferno (Read it in the summer so it's been awhile), I do like the symbolism he uses in this book to define how people are tortured in hell, I hope I don't ruin it for you, but the best example that I can remember is the flatterers or ass kissers are forced to live in their own shit for the rest of their life, it is iconic to the crime. If you live your life kissing peoples asses and flattering their way to the top should live in shit it's kinda funny. Another good one is at the start how people that never did anything exciting have to chase a blank flag to symbolize how their potential was wasted.
ReplyDeleteIn my vision of hell I see fire. lots of it. But I also wonder If lucifer praises wrong doing why would he torture the people that have followed his way, shouldn't he reward him??? Just a thought.
I love the idea of Dante's Inferno... it is truly a masterpiece. It, too, is interesting what or how people see in hell. To some it is paradise, to others its their worse nightmare... you may never know...
ReplyDeleteThe concept that everbody has their own personal is definitely a concept to consider. My hell would be different from your's or anybody else's. And as for Rosebud585's comment that Lucifer would reward them, I believe that in his own way he's still serving God by punishing them.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with Dante's interpretation of Hell. I believe that there are different degrees of hell and they are: warm, light and crispy, and Burnt to a Crisp. It would have to be like this because not everyone's bad decisions were to the same degree of hell. For example a dictator such as Hitler who committed genocide would definitely be in the Burnt to Crisp, while a pedophile would be light and crispy. It sounds pretty interesting. I would like to read this book.
ReplyDeleteInteresting I understand the conept of Dante's hell but it is interesting how many people and beliefs have a different idea of what this hell looks like. Maybe people in warmer climates imagine it as freezing!
ReplyDeleteThere just are so many different opinions about hell but there was only one comment that didn't talk about fire... How did fire become linked to hell??
ReplyDeleteThats a kind of bleak outlook on life. :P In your opinion, how do you stay out of hell? And what does Dante have to say about it in the book?
ReplyDelete